Close this search box.

WBHS Magazine 1957

Read the 1957 WBHS School Magazine online

Courtesy of the WBHS Archives in the Oude Wijnberg Museum – the digital copy of the 1957 School Magazine.

From Mr Harry Arguile’s Magazine Editorial:

“Littlewood House,” the new School Hostel, was officially opened on October 7th, and another milestone has thus been passed. It was not without a pang of regret that we saw the old Boarding House reduced to rubble, but the change was long overdue, and we trust that the new Hostel will not only take to itself the tradition of the old, but that in course of time it will acquire a tradition of its own. Almost from the time of its establishment the School has attracted pupils from various parts of the Cape and the neighbouring territories. By 1857, for instance, about one quarter of the School’s enrolment were boarders who lived with friends in the village or stayed with Mr. McNaughton himself. It is not the policy of the Administration in these days to build new Boarding Houses, and the provision of the new Hostel is a recognition on their part of the long history of the School as a boarding establishment and of their confidence in its future as such.

Read the full magazine online.

Scroll to Top