Close this search box.

Press Report: 1st XV vs Bishops, 27 April 24

View photos of WBHS 1st XV vs Bishops: Album 1 || Album 2 || Album 3

Monday 29 April 24: The report on WBHS 1st XV vs Bishops, as published in the Cape Argus – re-published, with permission of and credit to, Mogamat Goosain Abrahams.

Wynberg were in rampant mood in maintaining their unbeaten record with a surprisingly easy 35 – 8 win over hosts Bishops on Saturday, after leading 14-3 at the interval.

The margin of victory five tries to one was indicative of their superiority in a game they led throughout.

The match was interrupted by an extended halftime break after a heavy bout of thunder and flashes of lightning threatened to disrupt the match.

Bishops,  who have now lost four games on the trot, were strangely lethargic and their backs lacked cohesion.  To compound their woes, they conceded turnaround possession at crucial times, which proved costly.

Wynberg in contrast looked composed and was more structured on attack. Their set piece also functioned well and their execution well orchestrated by fly half Yaqeen Ahmed was on point. Ahmed gave a flawless kicking display converting all his attempts at goal while he also shone on defence.

Wynberg were first out of the starting blocks as early as the second minute when centre Brandon Ashburner breached the defence to link with captain and number eight Aden da Costa who did the hard yards before offloading to scrum half Tyrone Gombe who crossed close in.

Bishops regrouped and were soon swinging it out wide. With full back Wa-keem Fortuin making timely incursions into the backline the ‘Berg defence was a full stretch.

With halftime looming Bishops would have been happy trailing by seven points. However for once, they were made to pay for kicking away possession, Wynberg full back Morné Noble fielded a wayward clearance outside his 22 and set off on a 70 metre run outpacing the defence for a brilliant try in the corner.

Ahmed was bang on target and they were 14-0 up. On the stroke of halftime, Luca Mynhardt reduced the deficit with a penalty for Bishops.

After the enforced delay at the interval, Wynberg was the first to regain momentum. This time they capitalised on a charge down with wing showing Levi Brown showing good control in scooping up the loose ball to cross far out. At 21 – 3 the visitors were cruising but a change in tactics saw Bishops keep the ball amongst the forwards. It soon paid dividends when after a series of pick  and drives prop Yusuf Ahmed burrowed his way over for an unconverted try (21 – 8).

Going into the last ten minutes Bishops were still within striking distance. But the Wynberg forwards were on the front foot and when Ahmed opted for touch from a goalable penalty it paid dividends. From the resultant line out the Berg forwards went on the drive with lock Jaythen Orange getting the touchdown to restore the 20-point lead.

They put the issue beyond doubt when some deft footwork by prop Luqobo Makwedini spreadeagled the defence enabling Ahmed to complete the try-scoring. He duly completed the conversion for a personal tally of 15 points.

In other school rugby news:

Elsewhere the giant killers of schools rugby Milnerton were given a real scare before emerging winners by the narrowest of margins winning 29 – 28 over Bellville. It was only a failed last-minute conversion attempt that prevented Bellville from pulling off an upset win.

Rondebosch proved too strong for Melkbosstrand winning 45-13, with Colin Paul Kemp at number eight bagging a hat trick of tries.

Scroll to Top